WSOP Conference Call Reveals Some Interesting Items
By Ian Hiaring, Rakeback.com Poker News Staff Writer
The brass from the World Series of Poker held a press conference call Wednesday. Think of it as a warm-up for the madness that we’ve come to know and love that is the WSOP. Many topics were discussed, but the biggest news item of the day was the announcement of live streaming of all 58 bracelet events. We’ve covered that in more detail in a separate article, so we’ll just give you the highlights of the rest of the call.
- Two new events are on the schedule, the $25K Heads-Up NLHE and the $5K Six-Handed PLO tournaments.
- Badugi makes its debut as part of the 10-Game Mixed event.
- A deal was made with Shuffle Master to provide automatic shufflers for all final tables.
- The Rio will have smart-phone charging stations and free internet available this summer.
- There will be more satellites for players than ever before to qualify into bracelet events.
- Miller Beer is still a major sponsor, but this year they will feature their Miller Lite brand rather than Milwaukee’s Best. Apparently the Beast will not be unleashed upon patrons of the WSOP this summer.
- The Poker Hall of Fame qualification criteria changed with the addition of the “Chip Reese Rule”, which states that every nominee must be at least 40 years old, which was Reese’s age when he gained entry.
Stay tuned to the Rakeback.com News page for more information as the WSOP draws near, including a WSOP Primer series which will include places to play, things to do and even where to eat this summer in Las Vegas.