World Poker Tour Season X Preview
By Nathan Carroll, Rakeback.com Poker News Staff Writer
The World Poker Tour held a press conference recently to announce the upcoming 10th anniversary season of the WPT. WPT coverage will once again air on FSN with sponsorship from Club WPT. Returning to the set for Season X will be ‘Raw Deal’ host Tony Dunst, WPT anchor Kimberly Lansing and commentators Mike Sexton and Vince Van Patton.
Measured by tournament attendance or by television ratings, Season IX was the most successful in the tour’s history. With that kind of momentum, the management team led by WPT CEO Steve Heller is obviously not going to mess with the formula too much. That said, Heller did unveil a few twists in the WPT format at the press conference.
Here are some of the new elements you will see in Season X:
- Ali Nejad Joins the Crew – Fans of the Poker After Dark commentator and general poker media guru will be pleased to hear that Nejad has been tapped to serve as the final table host for WPT events.
- New Stops in Jacksonville and Philadelphia – During Season X the WPT will make its first ever stops in the Jacksonville Poker Room in Florida and Parx Casino near Philadelphia.
- Live Online Screening for Final Tables – In a move sure to excite hard-core fans of the game, WPT has decided to live stream the final table of each WPT main event. Not only that, but Tony Dunst will be on the mic with commentary.
- WPT Champions Club – This organization is being formed to honor all the elite players lucky enough to have won a WPT tournament. Members get exclusive benefits, including a personal concierge and VIP treatment at WPT events. They also get…
- Bling! – The WPT has commissioned a beautiful trophy to serve as the WPT Champions Cup. Starting in Season X, all WPT champions will get their name engraved on the cup. There’s also a new individual award for champions: the traditional winner’s bracelet is being replaced by a sterling silver Tiffany & Co. custom engraved card protector.
- More Interactivity on Set – Big screen monitors throughout the set will let audience members view live Twitter feeds, chip counts, audience polls, comments and more.
- Two New Royal Flush Girls – Micah Javier and Melissa Fisher have joined the team of WPT Royal Flush Girls. I could give you a long rundown of the modeling credentials these two have racked up, but I think we’ll all be better off if we skip the text and get straight to pics.
With all the best parts of Season IX complemented by the new features, Season X is sure to be the best yet.