So yesterday I met the GF's family for the first time. I am up visiting people in the northeast. Within 30 minutes of getting to know them, someone was asking if I played poker. A short while later, we had a 6 handed game going.
They had quite the list of home-rules. But it wasn't too hard to adjust. The rules included:
- ante: $1 (except hold'em which still played with an ante... just $2)
- no checking: fold or bet if you are first to act
- position rotates DURING the hand. UTG acts first on the first round of betting, then UTG+1 acts first on the second round, etc.
- minimum bet is a dollar, flat betting was common, in theory the game was NL but it played like limit because most bets were $1-$2
- they included a game called 4-by-4. Everyone gets 4 cards, four more cards are dealt (one at a time) in the middle, you can use any of the 8 cards to make the best 5 card hand
There was more but I am typing this on my phone and my thumbs are getting tired. When I get home, I will tell some more fun stories from this game and observations.
We have had a crazy home game rules thread before but we need a new one. So everyone feel free to say some of the weird non-standard rules you've seen in private games.