AbsolutePoker scandal

Thread: AbsolutePoker scandal

Tags:

liglierto said:

Default AbsolutePoker scandal

Hi,

Have you heard the news 'bout the Absolute Poker cheating scandal?

The Absolute Poker Cheating Scandal Blown Wide Open - Freakonomics - Opinion - New York Times Blog

Will this affect your playing on this site? What do you think AP should do to make you trust this site (give some money back)? I would like to know what you think or have to say 'bout this.

For polling purposes: Will you trust this site from now on?
  2. citizenfish said:

im playing on AP right now. I dont think it really affects the lower limits (I play .25/.50 and .50/1). As long as there is still plenty of traffic and lots of donkeys, I am not gonna worry about it.

I am also trying out a few different sites, just to see whats out there. Prima, Stars etc...

Doctorul said:

And you want to stick to that low tables forever? Can't believe you're saying you don't care cheating is involved and you don't think cheaters are interested in the low tables so you think you're safe...
    We're like crystal, we break easy...
  4. fleabit1 said:

Default AP scandal

I must say, Im a little worried about it, even though Im a low limit player.
    I have been playing VP but believe they are one and the same.
    Ive stopped playing there untill the matter is resolved, If it all just gets swept under the carpet, which would not suprise me. I will take my money out. Im thinking I will do that anyway because Im not too happy playing on a site where the main people are supposedly involved in cheating, and /or not bieng to open about what is going on. From the way I can see they are handling the issue, I dont feel I can trust that site.
  5. citizenfish said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorul View Post
    And you want to stick to that low tables forever? Can't believe you're saying you don't care cheating is involved and you don't think cheaters are interested in the low tables so you think you're safe...
    why would you ask a question and then refuse to believe an answer? nice one dude.

Mika Ollila said:

Might sound strange, but because of this episode the games should be more secure than before after the independent 3rd party security audit about this incident is done. So yes, I'd still play there.
  7. fleabit1 said:

I think your right about that Mika. I really like to play there also but the whole epesode has made me very uncomfortable. I hope that it is resolved quickly and to everyones satisifaction.
  8. eeazy1986 said:

Default pissed off

this makes me sick and it should concern all who play online. the people who say i play low limits etc, are you friggin kidding me bs they could be in any room i ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT PLAY THERE AGAIN. IM SO PISSED
  9. citizenfish said:

as long as my money is secure, and i win at a good rate, who cares what other folks are doing? no im not friggin kidding you.
  10. fleabit1 said:

Default AP scandal

In spite of all the evidence Citizen, how can u feel ur money is so secure?
    Seems very fishy indeed!
  11. KayJay333 said:

Why does the site need to have someone watching the hands in real time? couldn't this idea be avoided if let's say the one watching the hole cards could only see the previous hands and not the current ones?
  12. TonLee said:

I Agree With Mike. Ap Will Be More Secure Than Other Sites From Now On. They Can't Afford Another Scandal Of Any Kind.

slowpoke said:

I have an account there but don't think I have ever played it...Maybe I should go have a look

RomanCraig said:

The guy was an employee of Absolute poker or just some guy that hacked the software?

Mika Ollila said:

Quote Originally Posted by RomanCraig View Post
    The guy was an employee of Absolute poker or just some guy that hacked the software?
    Apparently a high level consultant that hacked their system. Please read this thread with announcement from Absolute Poker owner:
    http://www.rakeback.com/poker-forum/...y-breach-1354/
  16. razzy said:

Default Could happen anywhere

How can we know for aure that these beta left over super accounts arent accesssible on any site by the right people and who could be using them discreetly and never get caught. I have faith in P-Stars and Full Tilt still but who really knows.

The community is based on TRUST - like Mike I trust becuase he sends me my rakeback.com/">rake back each time with no problem. I just hope stras and tilt have a good grasp on hteir opa. Ill stay away from absolute and ultimate for awhile and see how it all plays out.
  17. fleabit1 said:

Quote Originally Posted by razzy View Post
    How can we know for aure that these beta left over super accounts arent accesssible on any site by the right people and who could be using them discreetly and never get caught. I have faith in P-Stars and Full Tilt still but who really knows.

The community is based on TRUST - like Mike I trust becuase he sends me my rake back each time with no problem. I just hope stras and tilt have a good grasp on hteir opa. Ill stay away from absolute and ultimate for awhile and see how it all plays out.
    I am in yhr procces of movin from VP to FT, Due To Moral reasons.+ ther seems to be a tricky tournement happening on sunday! I R G 'd to the tourney Sunday and will be playin under nthe ID majormicthel. Cu at the felt frogspawn

IFixlexus said:

I made like a $50 deposit there one time a long time ago and didn't care much for the site. The level of cheating at a .25/.50NL table is probably more along the lines of collusion. Think about it, if you had a way to cheat, wouldn't you be doing it at a much higher level. Why cheat some people out of hundreds of dollars when there are thousands!
    I'd say if you are a low limit player, play on!
  19. jimbo51 said:

Quote Originally Posted by liglierto View Post
    Hi,

Have you heard the news 'bout the Absolute Poker cheating scandal?

The Absolute Poker Cheating Scandal Blown Wide Open - Freakonomics - Opinion - New York Times Blog

Will this affect your playing on this site? What do you think AP should do to make you trust this site (give some money back)? I would like to know what you think or have to say 'bout this.

For polling purposes: Will you trust this site from now on?
    i think that it is blown way out of the water it was one guy out of what 50000 people
  20. TroutKing said:

Perhaps If The U.s Government Could See Past The Bribes Of Those Opposed To Online Poker This Sort Of Cheating Could Actually Be Punished! Let's Face It, All Our Sites Are Based In Third World Countries Where Laws Are More Like Jokes Or Suggestions.........;(
  21. HeyKidMove said:

I think the site will be better and more secure from now on, and i'm going to keep playing on the site because i don't think this has any effect on micro stakes

grndizzle said:

i still play on absolute, but i usually play cheap sng's.

IFixlexus said:

grndizzle, it's a tought time to be a Jets fan man. Niners fan here. I feel your pain. At least you guys got a promising QB in Clemens. We got an old worthless QB and a young worthless QB.
    (sorry for the thread hijacking)
  24. gggrrrr said:

I dont see the pont in playing there anymore and I dont think it is the safest place to play, they didnt give statement for a long time and didnt talk about it - > I dont trust them. Im sure the site will shut down / change name or go together with Ultimate Bet. Even if the possibility is 1% that there is still cheating going I'd rather choose antoher site.

IFixlexus said:

As something as serious in nature as cheating, I don't think it was a bad idea to wait to make a statement. You must get all of your ducks in a row if you know what I'm saying.
  26. RaisinBran said:

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo51 View Post
    i think that it is blown way out of the water it was one guy out of what 50000 people
    Not true - there were 3 or 4 "suspects"

I still play on Absolute. And I do play the higher stakes games. In fact I just got done there. Which is why I'm up at 4:45am lol. I played in a $50/$100 game (Won $3300) and the $100k pro bounty (got a disappointing 13th). I'm not trying to brag, well maybe a little, but, I've made over $100,000 in the last 5 months there. I was up $115k there in the last 5 month but recently had a bad swing and lost $15k in 3 days. I will continue to play there until I lose at least $20k of that $100k and feel like it was because of Absolute Poker, or like someone could see my cards, before I quit. The tables are just too juicy! There was a player in the $50/$100 game today that didnt belong above $3/$6. He was seeing the flop at least 80% of the hands. With that said though, the traffic has of course dropped down a ton since this whole thing came out. You have to pick the games more carefully now. If I had to guess, I'd say there are still 2-3 superusers on there. They just aren't stupid enough to have an infinite river aggression. I won't say who I think they are, because I have no proof, nor am I positive. But they are either amazingly good or have some sort of unfair advantage.

I don't know if anyone else has posted this, but they have given back close to $1M already.

eaglelite said:

I think this is absolutely appalling how could they do that, that not good at all I probaly will still play there but only in the freerolls I won't be depositing anything at that site til I am satisfied that things are safe.

Thank you for the heads up on this situation haven't play on the site for a couple of days.
  28. RaisinBran said:

I don't think AP "did" anything. Sounds like they just got stabbed in the back by some higher ups. But its hard to know in these kind of things.

BADFINGER said:

It really makes ya think, is this the only site that has this kind of crap going on. These people should be putt in jail and fined big time.
  30. specialfrank said:

Default sharp practice

ok i have done a lot of reading of forum threads and have been following this story day by day. I think we have a responsibility not to play at absolute otherwise it sends a message to the industry that you can steal from your customers then just carry on. shame on all of you who will carry on playing (the games are too juicy, i only play microstakes etc etc.) and shame on this site for not removing absolue from the rakeback list. How about we all start being discerning consumers.

Do you really want to play on a site thart claims not to be able to produce hand histories for dodgy sessions involving their sponsored pro Mark Seif. Absolute Poker tells Mark that they didnt save all the hand histories because they were taking up 30gb per month. OMG, 30gb, Any credible company in any industry would keep such important information for the sake of a $100 hard disk drive.

Mark Seif has also made statements along the lines of 'it could happen elsewhere pokerstars, full tilt etc' however these are much bigger more robust operations and are companies who definately would be able to produce hand histories if required.

I do not play the high stakes games that were subject to this fraud so i could play at absolute with no fear of being cheated but this really isnt the point, there is a principle at stake.

emoneypitt said:

Quote Originally Posted by BADFINGER View Post
    It really makes ya think, is this the only site that has this kind of crap going on. These people should be putt in jail and fined big time.
    My sentiments exactly.

bagadonuts said:

Default Absolute Scandal

I guess because I'm so new to online poker play, this cheating thing seems pretty scary. I mean it doesn't take much of a stretch to accept that cheating is and probably will remain a very real possibility no matter where you're playing. There's just sooo much money at stake that I can't help but wonder how easy or hard it is for someone on the inside to manipulate the software or dozens of other ways to extract money from us illegally. And that's not even considering what people on our side of the cards are capable of doing. I think the bottom line is that our first and best line of defense against cheating is our own common sense. If while playing things don't seem to flowing as they should there's no reason that would keep me from moving on.
    On the other side of the coin I believe that for the same reasons cheating exists, that being tons of dough, there are sites doing everything in their power to prevent it. I think that, in the end, it will be the most secure poker rooms that win the largest portion of market share. Before anything else, cool software, bonuses, great promotions, it will be a matter of whether or not the player trusts and feels comfortable in the poker rooms they play in. Best regards and good luck!

Sincerely, J. Bagadonuts
  33. tavian55 said:

omg thats horrible i was always wondering whther or not a site would do that. it makes me not trust any of them

DittoDeano26 said:

Default Absolute Joke

of course i voted no.......its an absolute joke........the site should never be trusted again.I dont care what the truth is

and the sister sites too......
    myspace.com/dittodeano25
  35. blade1984 said:

Default stealing at Absolute

is Absolute going to give the money back to all the players who were playing in tourneys sit n go's ring tables heads up just how long was this going on there and as far as a 3rd party watching them who is going to be watching them Absolute was a good site but now with this stealing it no longer can be call that it is the lowest rank poker room now ....smart play is to as i have done and many others get your money out now ...........how can your ever trust a site that was stealing your money from you ...
  36. JayM said:

Does Absolute even claim to have protocols in place to catch cheaters? If someone from the inside would be so bold as not to be more discrete, he obviously thought he could get away with it and that no one was watching. In fact it was the players who found him out. If this gets past the people at Absolute at the higher level tables, who knows what's going on at the lower levels!
  37. gaspati said:

dho thats not goood for the site they will loose alot of player no?