Hand Analysis

Thread: Hand Analysis

Tags:
  1. C8H10N4O2 said:

Default Hand Analysis

If you followed my previous AA post about this villain, it's the same guy. This time, we are playing online against each other. I'm sitting close to my buy in of $25, he's at $8.35.

This particular session villain is 100/60 and has never gone to showdown. I'm pretty sure he's tilting a bit from a tourney he just busted out of. Table is only 4 handed. Villain has also bet every street until everyone else folds. I'm in the BB. Villain is on the button. I'm feeling a bit more confident with my play against him, so I call with Q8 hoping to outplay him.

Dealt to me Q8

Villain min-raises to $0.50
    LB Folds
    Me Calls $0.25

Flop

Q 7 K

Me checks
    Villain bets $1 into $1.10
    Me calls

Turn

A

Me checks
    Villain bets $1.50 into $3.10
    Me calls $1.50

River

K

Villain shoves all in for $5.35 into $6.10

What do you do?
  2. phaul said:

You make the decision on the turn, not the river. River changes very little, and in fact improves your hand vs. his range. If he is, as you imply, triple-barrelling everything then call as you're ahead of a blank range and embrace the variance. Is his preflop raise size significant or was that standard for the retard?
  3. C8H10N4O2 said:

Lol phaul, he isn't retarded all the time.

His pre-flop raise... rarely does he min-raise. Most of his raises are 3x or larger. He raises almost all pocket pairs more than 2x as well. His pre-flop raise really means nothing here, except he probably doesn't have a pocket pair. Feel free to ask any other questions.
  4. HeyKidMove said:

I think you should have made your decision on the turn here as well. I much prefer a shove to a call on the turn. If you think you're ahead there, I think you have to shove it in. I'm tempted to call on the river though as you have played the hand pretty weak and he could have air here a lot.
  5. C8H10N4O2 said:

I did make my decision on the turn for sure... however, I checked to induce a bluff. I wasn't 100% sure I was ahead, but once the K hit on the river, I was convinced my pair of Q's was the best hand. It was pretty much a snap call this time, and he showed 8 high. Followed by "Wow... nc, I am on tilt... I think I'll stop for the day." If he crafted a better river bet, I would have been more confused. I would expect $2-3 tops for value from him on the river. Instead, he shoved and I insta-called.

Revenge on the villain for getting me to lay down AA.
  6. phaul said:

Quote Originally Posted by dew12109 View Post
    His pre-flop raise... rarely does he min-raise. Most of his raises are 3x or larger. He raises almost all pocket pairs more than 2x as well.
    Given this, I feel his preflop raise size implies a weaker hand, so an ace is a lot less likely. Given the player he is, i feel you have to snap call and sigh if he has a king. Nh
  7. C8H10N4O2 said:

Thanks. We played again today... he took me for 10bb's total over 350 hands. Overall now, I'm up a huge total of 4.7bb's over around 1,000 hands since I bought Hold'em Manager. I feel like I'm probably up considerably more than that from live play, but who knows. I wish I could figure out how to start breaking through against him. I've won 4 more hands against him than he has against me. A measly little 4 hands. I want to develop a better edge against him. He made a crazy lay down against a set of mine today, and I made a lay down against his two pair with an over pair the other day in live play. Other than that though, nothing out of the ordinary.

I posted this hand just to see if I were making an idiot call or if others would be calling this too. It felt like the right call, and it was the right call, but given the "quality" I was calling with, I wasn't sure what you guys would say.